- Event is a success. A lot of people registered for the conference.
- All proceedings are online. Papers will be available online for perpetual access.
- Big thanks to the supporters. Visit the Illumination Rooms for exhibits and demos.
- Thanks to NSF for student grants, UCLA and the organizing committee.
- Thanks to authors, TPC members, tutorial speakers, and participants.
- Conference went back to single-tier PC model.
- 30% of the members were first-timers.
- Members reviewed 20-25 submissions and attended PC meetings.
- 250 submissions (10% more than in 2016)
- 15 authors submitted more than 4 papers. 1 author submitted 7 papers.
- Reviewing process:
- Round 1: received 3 reviews. Submission moved on if more than 1 positive review.
- Round 2: 127 Submission received additional 3 reviews.
- Round 3: 70 submissions received additional review by an expert (>=3 expertise).
- In-person PC meeting
- 1.5 day PC meeting at UCSD
- 65 papers discussed with 6-8 reviews for each paper
- 36 accepted papers (3 experience track papers)
- Each paper was shepherded by PC
- Single authored paper had a very hard time.
- 215 authors got their submissions accepted.
- 40 academic institutes and 20 companies, 15 different countries on 5 continents
- 36 accepted papers. 2 CCR papers
Best Paper Awards:
(Chair: Dina Papagiannaki)
PC members nominate papers. Chair authored papers are not eligible.
The following papers received the best paper awards
- Re-architecturing datacenter networks and stacks for low latency and high performance
- Handley et al.
- Language-directed hardware design for network performance monitoring
- Narayana et al.
Test of time awards:
Has to have been accepted at an ACM conference before. Awarded to papers that have impacted a lot in the area.
2017 Test of Time Awards:
- Ethane: Taking control of the Enterprise (SIGCOMM 2007)
- Casado et al.
- impacted the software-defined networking paradigm
- Measurement and analysis of online social networks (IMC 2007)
- Mislove et al.
- made an early contribution in the field of social networks
2016 Test of Time Awards:
Committee: Ratul Mahajan, Dina Papagiannaki, Jennifer Rexford, Vyas Sekar.
- Link-level measurements from an 802.11b mesh network (SIGCOMM 2004)
- Aguayo et al.
- A first-principles approach to understanding the Internet's router-level topology (SIGCOMM 2004)
- Li et al.
SIGCOMM Doctoral Dissertation Award:
for dissertations that were completed in 2016
- Middleboxes as a cloud service
- Justine Sherry
- Power, Communication and Sensing Solutions for Energy Constrained Platforms
- Vamsi Talla
SIGCOMM Rising Star Award:
Committee is still working on the nominations from last year.
Conference Organization Awards:
SIGCOMM 2017 General Chairs:
K. K. Ramakrishnan, Lixia Zhang
SIGCOMM 2017 Program Chairs:
Alex Snoeren, Walter Willinger
SIGCOMM Award Chair 2011-2017:
SIGCOMM Conference Coordinators 2013-2017:
SIGCOMM Information Services Director:
Hamed Haddadi, 2013-2017
Recognizing exceptional service to the SIG:
Chris Edmondson-Yuranan Travel Grant awarded to a woman whose interest in and dedication to SIG best exemplifies Chris
Recognizing a lifetime of contributions:
Prof. Raj Jain
Industrial researcher, entrepreneur, teacher, academic mentor
Jain fairness index
Rate control algorithms
Best selling book "Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis"